Ever wondered if there was a cheaper way to get your dog’s prescriptions filled? Sometimes pet medications can be as expensive as human prescribed RXs. If you’re like me you want to give your dog the best care, yet you don’t want to overpay. Sometimes a cheap deal is just that cheap and not safe. But sometimes a cheap deal is a heck of a deal. Today, let’s dig into and discover if there really are safe cheap dog meds available.
Budget tip: Pet medications can be extremely pricey, especially if you purchase them at your vet’s office. If you do just a bit of leg work, you can save a ton of money and get the exact same medication for your dog. It’s a great savings for your dog’s budget and a wonderful way to care for your pup. That’s a win-win!
Do I need a prescription to get cheap medicine for my dog online?
Yes! If you aren’t asked for a prescription or the online pharmacy doesn’t contact your veterinary office to verify the medicine, then skip the pharmacy. It’s most likely not legit.
What do I need to order my dog’s prescription online?
You’ll be surprised at how easy it is to order your pet medication online. It’s just like ordering a pair of shoes. Maybe easier. Here’s what you’ll need:
- The prescription (details of what you need to order – RX name, mg, the basics)
- Vet name, address, phone number, and fax
- Your dog’s name
- A way to pay – either credit card or PayPal
- Your name
- Billing and shipping addresses
How do I know an online pet pharmacy is safe?
Always look for the exact medicine your vet has prescribed. Never get a substitute. Nor should the pharmacy suggest a substitute.
Before purchasing a pet medicine online, the FDA recommends that pet owners look for a few key points including:
- Licensed pharmacist available to answer questions
- Lists physical address and phone number on the website
- Privacy page indicating that your information is protected
- States they accept credit cards
- Pharmacy is licensed in the U.S. (you can go here to check)
Additionally, look for online pharmacies that are Veterinary-Verified Internet Pharmacy Practice Sites (Vet-VIPPS).
NOTE: If you have any questions about an online pet pharmacy, ask your vet’s office for their medical advice. Also, always inspect the medication before you give it to your dogs, cats, or other pets to ensure it’s what your vet ordered and you expected.
Where can I find cheap dog meds online?
There are a few sites I like to check when my dog, Henry needs his medication refilled. These include:
What types of dog medications are cheaper online?
While each pharmacy will vary with price and drugs they supply, you can find such dog, cat, and pet medications at each as:
- Arthritis pain
- Dental health
- Eye care
- Flea and tick
- Heartworm prevention
- Joint health
- Prescription food
- Urinary health
- Wound care
- Other preventive medication
- And even formulary products
Are there other ways to save when purchasing dog medications online?
Yes! Look for such things as:
- Discount codes (you may need to sign up for a newsletter, but you can always unsubscribe if you like)
- Auto-fill discounts, which can be easily changed or canceled
- Referral codes, which you get for referring a friend
Why are online pet pharmacies cheaper than my vet’s office?
It’s surprising you can save a lot of money by ordering your dog’s flea and tick meds online. Sometimes it can be half the price of what you’d pay at your vet’s office. This might seem extreme. But it all has to do with the buying power of large pharmacies. Most likely your local veterinary clinic can’t compete with the buying power of such companies as Chewy Pet Pharmacy. If your vet is like mine, they understand. Heck, my vet expects me to buy Henry’s medications at a cheaper pharmacy. He’s not in the business of selling meds, especially ongoing prescriptions like heartworm protection medication. He’s in the business of healing animals.
Does my pet insurance cover my dog’s prescription drugs?
It will depend. But most pet insurance companies will cover pet medications as long as they are prescribed by your vet as necessary.
- Emergency Dog Fund: How Much Money Should You Save?
- Shocking Guide of How Homemade Dog Treats Save BIG!
- My Dog Loves His Pet Savings Account. Surprised?
- Easy dog friendly vacation guide tips
- Are There Any Benefits Of Mobile Vet Services For My Dog?
- How To Find Vet Approved Low Cost Dog Vaccines
- Is A Dog Home Allergy Test Worth The Money?
- How to Find the Best Vet
- Steps To Build A New Dog Budget
Summary of are there really safe cheap dog meds?
Yes! You can get safe cheap dog meds online. All you have to do is check a few key points to make sure the pharmacy is legit. You can even verify if the pet pharmacy is legit through the Veterinary-Verified Internet Pharmacy Practice Sites. I know I always feel empowered when I find a great price for Henry’s medicines. He stays healthy and I score great savings. I’m sure he’d prefer I’d spend those savings on treats. But I generally put it in his savings account or his dog emergency fund. Although, with enough savings, I may just take him to the coast to play.